9/16/10

Windswept Canarsie





It was chilly down at the Canarsie garden yesterday. The wind was whipping through the plants and I had to wear a sweat shirt! I harvested a good amount of corn. Actually one of the ears was nearly perfect. It is so beautiful -- a deep blue/black. I opened the husk in my studio and nearly cried. I need to take a picture of it that does it justice (so stay tuned). Anyway, in the garden the beans are still marauding over the corn but I only harvested two pods. I don't see any more among the tangle of vines, and very few flowers even. A couple more squash are developing, but the leaves are continuing to die off. Autumn is settling over the garden. I've grown attached to this spot and these plants. I know I'll make visits before the end of the harvest. There is still corn on the stalks. The plan is to set it up nicely for the winter so the school can use it as a garden again in the spring. In the meantime let's see if we get any more perfectly formed Lenape blues...

No comments:

Post a Comment