9/8/10

Let them be



Once again I don't really know what's going on. Just a couple weeks ago down in Canarsie the squash were vigorously taking over. On this last visit the plants looked a little wilted and thinned out. Could I actually be over watering, I wonder... I started to cut off some of the totally dead leaves for compost. A passerby stopped and told me that it wasn't necessary to take off the leaves. He said to just let them be. The plants, in his opinion, only needed some fertilizer. "Just let them be", he said again, "and enjoy." He walked away, smiling.
I spread around some more compost. And let them be.
Two more squash are forming near the playground gate.

1 comment:

  1. Christina,
    Either you are over watering the squash, which doesn't allow the plant absorb the nutrient because they get washed away or they are under water, which might cause the wilt. Also, I don't know what the weather has been like but we had some cold nights last week, which might cause a little wilt in the leaves.
    Lastly telling from the photo that squash is quite close to the fence. I think you should tuck it in, so nobody messes with it. How is the flax doining? You can pull some out and put it under the squash fruit for some cutioning?

    ReplyDelete