8/16/10

La Serenissima Canarsie





One day maybe I'll write something about my ride to Canarsie. It's been the reliable pleasure of this summer of 2010. It's a smooth long ride past the multicolored shingled houses in Flatbush (look for the parrots' nest). I know I'm close when I pass the overloaded seltzer truck on Ave D, and then the last right onto E 93rd street. On the corner of E. 93rd is the house with the trellised vines that marks the entrance to La Serenissima Canarsie. The "most serene" gentle ride down E. 93rd.
Today I arrived to a garden with squash gone wild. The plants have spread their tentacles out into the "meadow" and are trying to climb the wall. They've reached beyond the garden and are exploring the area behind the school perhaps on their way to the parking lot. The cornstalks are still shorter than I am but they are a deep, dark green. Many of them have long, slender ears fattening on their stalks. There was one opened ear of corn. It was a long ear but only four rows of kernels had developed. We'll see what we get. The beans leaves are large, flat and dark green. So different from their pale, whithering relatives in Boerum Hill. Some have begun to flower. This garden in Canarsie was so hard to get off the ground. The garden on Smith Street, on the other hand took off in a flash. But the Boerum Hill garden burned brightly and fast. Now it's winding down early. The squash and beans never got off the ground. Canarsie, after a slow, unpromising start is just hitting its stride. There is a lesson to be learned here.
Thanks to Marika for riding with me, taking pictures, and having some plantains with me at Footprints "the home of the rasta pasta".

No comments:

Post a Comment