8/10/10

It is no Longer in the Milk



I harvested four more ears of corn today (I guess I'm in my harvest dress again). I braided them and hung them to dry in my studio. I've been waiting until the husks lose their color and become yellow before I harvest.
Tony, the heirloom farmer who donated the Lenape seeds (for the Canarsie garden), explained: "After the milk stage (like sweet corn when it is picked) it then goes into the "dough" stage where it thickens but is not hard. Once you are into the latter part of the dough stage but has not dried yet, it is mature enough to harvest. I try to wait until husks yellow before harvesting"

I've come across a book online about Iroquois uses for maize. Here is an English translation of the process from the Seneca language:

Corn
She plants
It is just forming sprouts
It has sprouted
The blade begins to appear
The blade has appeared
The blade is already out
The stalk begins to appear
The stalk is fully out
It is beginning to silk
The ears are out
It has silked out
The tassels are fully out
It is in the milk
It is no longer in the milk
The ears are beginning to set
The kernels are setting on the cob
They are husking (indefinite as
to method)
She is braiding
It is braided
It is hung over a pole
It is strung along a pole

No comments:

Post a Comment