6/10/10

East 91st Lenape Blues



It seems that I got it all wrong. I thought the garden at Smith and Bergen was going to be the problematic one. I assumed because it was so exposed on such a busy corner that it would be vandalized. In fact it's been largely respected and embraced. On the other hand I imagined that in Canarsie the plot on East 91st street would grow without a hitch. I thought it would enliven the residential block--engaging the neighbors, passerbys, as well as the kids from PS 115, their families and teachers. And perhaps it would, if the corn would grow! I haven't given up hope yet but for sure things are not going as planned on East 91st and I don't know if it's due to bad luck, my stupidity, or the hubris of the project. Lenape corn on historical Lenape planting lands! Who am I?

The three mounds of Lenape Blues are still hanging in there. I raked in some more compost in preparation for the transplants (I'm thinking they'll go in the week of June 21st, hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment