3/4/10

Winter Visit to Canarsie



Last summer I cruised around the "corn zone" in Canarsie on my bicycle. The perimeteters of the historical planting grounds are roughly from Avenue J down to Avenue N (with a little section going all the way down to Seaview Ave) And from E. 83rd to E. 96th. It's a nice residential area and it would be interesting to see if anyone living in that zone would be willing to plant corn in their front gardens. There is one home in the zone (ave K and E. 85th) with a front yard full of corn. Even now blanketed under the snow you can still see the dried out stalks. I visited the area again with my friend Isak. I was especially interested in checking out the cemetery. Canarsie Cemetery sits right in the heart of the historical planting lands. The city is the current owner of the cemetery and is trying to sell it off. I'm proposing to do a planting there. I think the history of the site as once being a planting ground in addition to it's current state as cemetery in need of care make it a lovely and timely place for a public art piece about land, history, change, and renewal.

No comments:

Post a Comment